Leadership is assumed. Position is given.
I was reminded this today as I drank coffee with one of the greates sales people in the United States. Possibly even in the World. I have read books by many leaders, I listen to tapes, see presentations, on and on and on. But today I had the opportunity to sit across the table with one of the greatest sales people of all time. And HE bought the coffee! Wow! I learned some principles that are going to effect my presentations. They will help me capture the sale. They will help me grow my business. I will start implementing them today.
But what makes him the greates sales person of all time? And, you are probably asking, who is he?
He is boB. - But wait a minute! "boB aint that good is he?" I might answer, "yes"
You see, boB had the answers to my problems now! He took the time and made the effort to understand where I was, what my problem was and propose a solution. Then he shared with me what he was facing. As he discussed it, he showed me how he was turning chaos into order simply by selling. He was selling himself to his boss. His ideas were important. And, in the situation he was facing at work, yes, they were very important.
But it was the last thing that struck me. boB saw the chaos, saw the answer, started implementing the solution without position or title. He is saving the company thousands of dollars WITHOUT position or title.
Ok, so if you don't get it, I will put it the way boB put it to me. Leadership is taken. Position is assumed. boB took leadership by saying to me, "Let's get together tomorrow over coffee to solve YOUR problems. I'll buy. Would 8:00 or 10:00 work better for you?" In that two hours we met he turned my chaos into order as fast as I could choke it down. I'm still digesting. No other leader did this for me today. All the other leaders didn't measure up because Today was the day and they weren't there.
Remember this. When you see chaos, disorder and waste, it's an opportunity for YOU to become the world's greatest leader. You need to step up offer the solution to set things in order. You may not sell what they need, but I bet you can put them in touch with someone else who can. They will remember and look at you above your competitors. Use your peripheral vision to see problems outside of your area and, if you can, present a solution.
Ok, go lead!
No comments:
Post a Comment