Listening is a lost art. we all want to be understood, but few of us will listen for the sake of understanding. I just finished a course to strengthen my marriage. The program is called Retrouvialle. In this program I was presented with a brand new concept. This has changed my relationship with my wife in a way that I never would have anticipated. I think it will change my relationships with my clients also. It's called Win-learn.
Win- learn is the third alternative to win-loose and win-win. The advantages of win-win over it's evil counterpart - win-loose is obvious. It has become old school. We understand that in any dealing win-win is the best alternative - right?
The problem with win-win is that it doesn't carry over to relationships well. Business deals and contracts are formed on win-win. But win-win still says - I must succeed. It's a bonus if you succeed, but I MUST succeed. Sometimes those relationships break down, because, it works good at the handshake - when the papers are signed - when the check is written. But as the process goes on, it is about the money. It is about what have you done for me lately. The process runs the risk of breaking down. Contracts are broken every day. Win-win contracts are broken every day. Marriage is a win-win proposition. Divorce rate is higher than it has ever been. Bankruptcy for individuals and companies are higher than they have ever been. Why? Because win-win failed at some point.
Win-learn says, I will try to understand what your needs are, what your business cycles are, how you react to adversity and prosperity. This can be extremly difficult. I will adapt and adjust as the markets, vendors, clients change and then I will remain relative, competant AND profitable.
No comments:
Post a Comment