I was pondering a situation the other day. I own a computer consulting business and was faced with the challenge of communicating with two very intelligent men in another profession. I was presenting a quote for a server. I had run over and over the quote to try to get the price where it would be acceptable. I also knew the technology they needed was going to cost. But yet to explain that technology in terms they could understand was going to be difficult.
boB and I discussed this for a while. I was really stuck. They didn't understand some of the simplest of technology. boB finally suggested...
We'll call the client John.
John, Doctor walks into your hospital room and hands you an MRI. You look at it and then look at the doctor.
"John, as I see it you have three options. First we can operate and remove the tumor, Second, we can put you on a high potency pain reliever and avoid surgery for another two months. Third, we can let it run it's course.
John says: "Well, certainly we should operate as soon as possible."
You simply say to John, " John, you came to me with a problem. John, you can purchase the cheaper unit and continue throwing money at this problem, secondly, we can let it fail and then replace it then, or we can replace it now and keep your business healthy. John, (as you hand him the proposal) I'm holding your MRI and I've given you the best solution!"
boB learned this through experience. It struck urgency into my heart because of my past experiences. Most of us have been there. We know deep down there is only one or two legitimate choices, but we wrestle with the diagnosis. It doesn't take long for the seriousness to sway us into the surgery room.
Don't forget that a connection to the emotion can be a powerful tool for bridging gaps when technical jargon can't do the job.
No comments:
Post a Comment